Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Boy That Stole My Heart



Back in November 2009, I met a 9-year-old boy named Djuma.  He was short and sweet but tough enough to kick some butt if someone picked on him.  At the time I did not know how to speak Portuguese so our verbal communication was limited, but I found that a little smile went a long way.  

During Masana we would sit and play games and after Masana he would show me a glimpse of his life on the street.  He took me on my first “Shoppa” ride (a form of public transportation), he took me to the local zoo (which consists of a hippo, a few monkeys, a few reptiles and a few birds), we went to the beach, and last but not least, he helped me learn Portuguese.  Over the next several years Djuma and I became really close.  We were practically inseparable.  He would leave Masana around 2 pm and go to different stoplights to beg for money.  Once he got enough money, he would buy 2 packs of cookies and 2 Coca-Colas.  Then he would come ring my doorbell and ask for a Band-Aid or something in order to come in and surprise me.  We would sit on the front porch and talk about everything.  Then the day arrived that I always dreaded but hoped for…he wanted to go home!

After a few difficult weeks of searching for his family Djuma finally went HOME!  Djuma has been at home for a couple of years now.  He is currently in the 6th grade and is one of the smartest kids in his class.  He lives with his 79-year-old, blind grandmother, 17-year-old cousin and two aunts.   Djuma and his cousin study in the morning until noon and then work together in their grandmother’s garden.  They grow peanuts, cauliflower, corn, parsley, mangos, avocados, lemons and raise livestock.

Djuma is one of the major reasons why I love Mozambique.   He is such a strong young man, who not only cares of himself, but takes care of his blind grandmother as well.  Djuma is 14-years-old and has experienced many hardships, but I cannot wait to see the great things God has in store for the rest of his life!  I am thankful for every day that God has allowed me to spend all this time with Djuma.  I am forever changed.   Djuma has stolen my heart!  I love you, Djuma. 




Djuma 2011


At the beach

Djuma's Grandmothr

Djuma showing me his grades

Djuma's Birthday 2011

love him


Pictures!!



so sweet

Sarah's Wedding 2012
Djuma and I at the beach 2013

Djuma 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment